martes, 24 de junio de 2014



                                        "Opportunities may betray you" by Daniela Garza #18

"This is what it feels like when you make it" these words were said by Grace's manager in the movie "Grace Unplugged" when she was at the top of her longtime dream, but for her it wasn't enough. Throughout the movie Grace, the main character, shows us three very different  personalities. She started with a suppressed and frustrated way of life, guided by the church and her father. Later she shows us a rebellious attitude when she went to Los Angeles to pursue her dream without her parents permission, and finally a more mature, experienced and devoted way of life when she came back to her family and religion after realizing she was not doing things the right way. Guided by Grace's example,  we learned that life can sometimes show us tempting opportunities that might seem like the right choice at the time, but they can end up damaging our beliefs and our family. (thesis statement). When I look at what Grace went through I can picture myself in a similar situation that happened a few years ago and it also involves my family. In this reflection I will compare my own experience and attitude towards life compared with what happened in the movie.

I have alway had a very strict mom, not exactly in a religious way like Johnny, Grace's father, but in a over-protective and over-controlling way. Ever since I was little I've had to do exactly as she told me, dress a certain way, talk a certain way and even be friends with certain people. At first my attitude towards her was in a frustrating and irritating way, just like Grace did at the beginning of the movie. Later on I started to care less and less about what she said and started going out with the wrong people, until one day I realized that everything she ever wanted was to protect me. Ever since that day we talked about everything and she explained her point of view until I was old enough to understand it. Just as in the movie, when Grace started to feel uncomfortable when she had to sing an inappropriate song, she was able to realize that God had been missing from her life and that perhaps everything she ever did was just a search for God.

Despite the reason we decided to change our attitude towards life, it is important to know that sometimes we need a rough experience to realize we are on the wrong path. Luckily for Grace and I, we were able to discover that our choices were not the best ones and that the support of our families and in Grace´s case, the support from God, helped us get back on track. Life can give all sort of spins and twists but not until we have our beliefs and thoughts deep in the ground, we are going to be able to see in perspective what is best for us.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario